Caring for Braces: Good Oral Hygiene Delivers a Lifetime of Beautiful Smiles
If you wear braces, caring for your mouth is vital to loving your smile when they come off. Patients with braces who fail to brush and floss daily run the risk of prolonging treatment and developing unhealthy teeth. Dr. Stephen L. Chan, a dentist in La Mesa, helps patients with and without oral devices care for their teeth.
4 Tips for Keeping Clean With Braces
These four steps can help you maintain good oral hygiene while wearing appliances.
- Use an interdental brush. Begin cleaning your mouth with an interdental brush before using a regular toothbrush to gently remove debris underneath and around braces and wires.
- Clean your teeth after every meal, ideally four times a day. It is fine to use non-fluoride toothpaste, as fluoride can irritate gums. Brush for at least two minutes.
- Floss daily. Floss threaders can simplify cleaning of dental appliances.
- Finish with a rinse of water and a final rinse with an antiseptic. Rinses with tea tree are natural, effective oral treatments.
When To Visit the Dentist
Regular visits are important because they allow dentists to find problems early when treatments are often more affordable and simpler. Dentists also can help patients prevent problems. There are multiple reasons to see a dentist.
- Persistent bad breath
- Bleeding gums and/or sensitive gums
- Serious medical conditions such as cardiovascular disease or diabetes
- Medical treatments such as radiation, chemotherapy, or hormone replacement therapy
These are some of the signs you should visit a dentist, but any oral problem is a signal to see a dentist in La Mesa.
Contact Us Today
Good oral hygiene gives you a lifetime of beautiful smiles and protects your general health. If you wear braces, a clean mouth is especially important for successful treatment. Dr. Stephen L. Chan and his staff at Smilehaven Dental Center are ready to help you develop a daily oral care routine. Contact us at 619-464-2801, email@example.com, or use our convenient online appointment request form.