At Smilehaven Dental Center, we believe that we stand out from most other dental practices in and around La Mesa and El Cajon, CA. One reason why we strongly believe this is because we’re dedicated to providing holistic dentistry for our patients. If you’re not terribly familiar with the terminology, don’t worry – you’re not alone! Many patients aren’t familiar with all the benefits that holistic dentistry can provide them, which is why we’d like to take the time to tell you more about this terrific approach to dentistry.
What Is a Holistic Dentist?
Holistic dentistry offers a different approach to dentistry than traditional dental care. A holistic dentist believes that a person’s oral health is connected to the health of the rest of the body and will place an emphasis on whole-body healing and wellness instead of just simply treating an oral problem. They won’t just take care of a person’s mouth – they’ll essentially take care of a patient’s entire body with bio-compatible whole body dentistry.
Principles of a Holistic Dentist
Your La Mesa and El Cajon, CA holistic dentist follows the principles of holistic dentistry, which can differ from a traditional dentist. For example, your natural dentist believes in the following philosophies:
- There won’t be any usage of mercury fillings as these contain toxins. Instead, your holistic dentist will use biologically compatible and safe dental materials like mercury-free fillings. If any mercury is already present in a filling, your natural dentist can safely remove it.
- There’s a focus on preventing and treating gum disease from a biological perspective.
- When there’s tooth decay, your natural dentist will work to preserve as much healthy tooth structure as possible.
- Additionally, they’ll use the least invasive and least traumatic methods.
- Your holistic dentist will even encourage patients to maintain balanced diets and stay healthy in order to prevent or reverse oral disease.
The Basics of a Traditional Dentist
While we mentioned all the ways that a holistic dentist differs from your standard dentist, you shouldn’t feel like changing to a holistic dentist is such a terrifying leap to make. In actuality, holistic dentists use the same dental treatments as regular dentists. They’ll fill cavities, place crowns, and give dental exams. A holistic, natural dentist will even have similar knowledge, experience, and techniques when compared to a traditional dentist. Though the approach is different, it won’t be so unfamiliar when compared to what you’re used to.
Come Visit Your La Mesa and El Cajon, CA Holistic Dentist!
If you’re interested in our El Cajon and La Mesa, CA holistic dentistry, we encourage you to stop by and see us sometime! To schedule an appointment with us, feel free to give us a call at (619) 464-2801. Alternatively, you can do so by filling out our appointment request form. We’re looking forward to seeing you and helping you attain a healthier mouth – and a healthier body as well!